Re: Lintian and Build-Depends (was Re: A question about update-excuses)

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 02:39:15PM +0200, Jochen Voss wrote:
> I looked into source-dependencies-unstable.gz and have a question.
> For my gnome-utils package it states
>     gnome-utils: ACMGL, flex, ...
> and later on
>     abbrev ACMGL = autoconf, automake, m4, gettext, libtool
> Does this mean, that gnome-utils should have a build dependency on
> automake?  I don't think that this should be the case, because
> I do not run automake from the rules file.  Even if I would change
> a Makefile.am, the corresponing changes to Makefile.in would be
> included in the diff file.  So still no need for automake in the
> Build-Depends.  The same argument seems to hold for autoconf, gettext
> and libtool.

Not necessarily.  Configure scripts have a habit of always regenerating
things like Makefile.in, to the great dismay of build dependencies.
If you take explicit steps to prevent that, then you can probably
ignore the dependency.

Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team