How best to handle upgrade of Cyrus spool?

Hi all

With Berkeley DB 3.x now in unstable, I'm busy packaging Cyrus 2.x. I have
one major problem tho' - how best to handle upgrading from Cyrus 1.5/1.6 to
2.x.

First a bit of background - Cyrus is a POP/IMAP/NNTP server that stores
mail in its own spool hierarchy (currently /var/spool/cyrus) and uses its
own delivery agent (/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver) to get the mail there.

Cyrus 2.x requires a new spool dir hierarchy and a script exists to migrate
from earlier releases (this would be run from postinst). The problem is
that the the user's MTA needs to be shut down _before_ this migration
process starts, otherwise a situation could exist where the MTA runs the
new 2.x delivery agent but the directories are still in the old 1.x
layout, causing all sorts of nastiness.

Anyone have any thoughts on how best to handle this process?

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner      | http://www.edr.uct.ac.za/~mj/
mj@debian.org            | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/