Re: testing installation bot just plain doesn't like XFree86

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 09:48:14PM +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:
> >What is really surprising is that packages built against a buggy libc
> >wait for a new libc before being installed in testing. Should not
> >those packages be rebuilt against the fixed libc as well?
>
> It's pretty rare for a bug in libc (or any shared library, for that matter) to
> have build-time consequences.  You certainly don't want to rebuild everything
> whenever libc changes; even if you only cared about RC bugs, you could be
> talking about huge amounts of wasted work.

Well, there's a problem right now in that the newer and buggy libcs are built
from glibc pre-2.3 CVS, so anything built against them won't link with the
libc in testing.  So nothing built against sid has got into testing since
libc 2.<whatever it was>-2 went into sid.

I'd agree that _most_ library problems don't have an effect at build time,
however.

--
James Deikun, Techie(tm), CSI Multimedia
The opinions expressed &c.