How does testing work? (was: Re: A question about update-excuses (was Re: testing is broken))

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:

> > Thanks for the explanations. In the update-excuses for python2, I see

OK, this is about the x-th time questions about the logic behind inclusion
in testing come up.

Now what are the plans for the further direction of the testing inclusion
procedure?

Is there a chance that the rules for not/inclusion will be fomalised? As
of today is there a script doing these decisions and where is it? Can it
be inspected? Or is the process manual? Based on what guidelines? Is there
an intention to fix the process in policy form? How are developpers
suposed to find out why/when/if their packages will be included
- continuously read deb-devel? scaning the archive in the hope of finding
some hint? What's the midterm plan?

Testing is important. If the process of how testing happens would become
transparent I'd guess that people could help, f.ex. by writing a policy,
analysing the script or whatever. The state of art would become clearer
and people wouldn't have to FAQ.

I'm asking you to please inform us about your midterm plans for testing.
*t

             Tomas Pospisek
	     http://sourcepole.ch
	     Tel: +41 (81) 330 77 11