Re: sensible-browser and sensible-image-viewer

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 09:11:33PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Debian include sensible-editor and sensible-pager.
> Why not add "sensible-browser" and "sensible-image-viewer" ?
>
> It will permit to solve painlessly lots of issue, for example
> dhelp (in potato) try hard to find a web browser if BROWSER is
> not set and default to netscape which is non-free. Several other
> programs launch netscape when they need a web browser.
> (gimp,xdvi)

It seems the simplest way to implement it is to have each browser
add an alternatives for "web-browser".

This way sensible-browser has only to look at $BROWSER
and if it is not defined, use web-browser.

The only problem I see is that we need to know which
browsers are text mode and need to be lauched in a terminal,
and which terminal.(if we are under X)

And does browsers have to register mime type text/html ?

Bill. <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr>