Re: Solved, was Re: Problems using libtool

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 10:22:55AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> The simplest solution is to use the upstream source's make file to install
> the libraries correctly in a local path, moving the desired components
> into the varios packages as they are built. This uses the libtool
> implimentation provided by the upstream to properly create the components
> for the package. I only had to remember that --prefix is an option for
> config, but $(prefix) is the item that make wants defined ;-)

For packages that follow GNU's makefile conventions --- and anything
that uses automake follows this convention --- there is a procedure
expressly for installing in a temporary staging directory
(such as debian/tmp):

	./configure --prefix=...
	make
	make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp

You don't need to fool around with setting and re-setting the
prefix.

-S