Re: testing is broken

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 11:10:09AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> I recently helped a friend install Debian.  I showed him
> apt-cache search
> apt-cache show
> apt-get install
>
> and was overjoyed and happy.  It actually works!

You know, the root of *many* of the problems people are having is that
apt just doesn't handle some stuff well. It doesn't do suggests in a
helpful manner. It doesn't always handle recommends in a helpful manner.
Just because apt-get install works great for simple cases doesn't mean
it's the end-all of system maintainence. If people were more aware of
that we might have fewer complaints. (FWIW, I use dselect for all my
upgrades and I have *not* run into anything that destroyed my system in
manner described quite often by people upgrading to woody.)

--
Mike Stone