Re: dist-upgrade to woody

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 03:37:01PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Patrick  Mauro <pmauro@engr.uvic.ca> writes:
> > The big problem is that my X won't work!  Whenever I try to run it,
> > I now get an error saying something like unable to stat file
> > /etc/X11/X.
>
> Did something similar over the weekend (reinstall potato base,
> dist-upgrade to testing and then install task-x-window-system).
> The thing is that xserver-xfree86 does *neither* create a config
> file *nor* create a symlink to the server.

If you guys would be cognizant of the fact that there is such a thing as
"unstable", your lives would doubtless be more pleasant.

Here are some excerpts from the XFree86 changelog since 4.0.2-7, relevant
to X server configuration:

xfree86 (4.0.2-13) unstable; urgency=medium
   * debian/local/dexconf: don't freak out if the selected mode list is blank

xfree86 (4.0.2-12) unstable; urgency=low
  * debian/local/dexconf: add value of shared/default-x-server to error output
    of fetch() (unless this is the very debconf value we couldn't retrieve)
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.config:
    - provide driver list for ARM architecture
    - provide driver list for hurd-i386 architecture (same as i386)
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.postinst: dexconf exiting with an error is no
    longer an error for the postinst; people apparently insist on screwing
    themselves by telling debconf one thing, and then changing the /etc/X11/X
    symlink just for the fun of it.  Fine, you guys can write your
    XF86Config{,-4} files from scratch.  Don't come crying to me.
    (Closes: #91217)

xfree86 (4.0.2-11) unstable; urgency=low
  * debian/local/dexconf:
    - new function, fetch(), which is a wrapper around db_get that bombs the
      script if needed info from the debconf database is missing (use for all
      db_get's except the video RAM question)
    - make the Configured Mouse the core pointer, not the Generic Mouse
      (fixes problems with people not having USB devices at all, and without
      /dev/input directories)
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.config:
    - make configuration file clobbering questions high priority
    - if and only if the environment variable DEBUG_XFREE86_DECONF is set
      (to something non-null), debugging output will be generated, and
      pauses will occur before some db_inputs
    - add in lots of debugging for monitor autodetection
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.templates:
    - don't have modes higher than 1152x864 on by default in the available
      modes list
    - add more info to shared/multiple_possible_x-servers and
      multiple_possible_x-drivers descriptions

xfree86 (4.0.2-10) unstable; urgency=low
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.config: check for changed owners of
    default-x-server template before all autodetection logic
    (addresses Progeny pr/1158)

xfree86 (4.0.2-8) unstable; urgency=medium
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.config:
    - if the X server symlink points back to the wrapper, automatically
      clobber it
    - comment out a lot of workaround code to see if the shared template
      scanning problem is fixed in debconf
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.postinst:
    - use "message" function, not simple echo
    - only manipulate the /etc/X11/X symlink if the debconf database has
      info on the default X server; otherwise, display a helpful note
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.templates:
    - set default true on emulate3buttons and zaxismapping

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |    If encryption is outlawed, only outlaws