Re: dist-upgrade to woody

>On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 03:37:01PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Patrick  Mauro <pmauro@engr.uvic.ca> writes:
>> > The big problem is that my X won't work!  Whenever I try to run it,
>> > I now get an error saying something like unable to stat file
>> > /etc/X11/X.
>>
>> Did something similar over the weekend (reinstall potato base,
>> dist-upgrade to testing and then install task-x-window-system).
>> The thing is that xserver-xfree86 does *neither* create a config
>> file *nor* create a symlink to the server.
>
>If you guys would be cognizant of the fact that there is such a thing as
>"unstable", your lives would doubtless be more pleasant.

I understand that I am looking to go to a testing phase which is more unstable
than potato.  I was simply looking for some help when something broke.  I
expected things to break, but I'm only just starting to get the hang of
everything, where to look for problems, how to try and find solutions when
something breaks.  But sometimes something breaks and I don't know where to
look.

BTW, where are the lists of the problems in the packages stored?  I looked
around debian.org and couldn't find it (I probably didn't look hard enough
right? :)

Anywho, I want to thank everyone for their help.  I haven't gotten around to
implementing the solutions, but it sounds like it's a fairly good chance that
when I upgrade all I'll have to do is create a simlink to the proper xserver.

Thanks for all your help.

Patrick Mauro
pmauro@engr.uvic.ca