Re: RFC: cdlinux

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl> writes:

> DemoLinux already is a Debian-based CD that runs from a live filesystem,
> you might want to look at that as well.

Yeah I know. There're some reasons I started to do my own, one of them
is they only provide ISO images, while I'm a poor dial-up user. The
other reason is their deeply involved kernel patch is for 2.2 and I
feel porting the code to 2.4 is too tiresom. The third reason is I
don't like there many special dialogs asking user questions.

I want the building procedure of CDLinux to be simple and straight,
that means I don't like to provide a ISO image but a program to build
CDLinux image in home given access to some kind of Debian archives.

And I hope to make the kernel patch generic enough. BTW, do you have
an URL for Al Viro's stacked vfs? I've heard it many time somewhere,
but never got information more than 2-3 lines. :)

I also dislike a special version of UI dialogs, I hope to deploy
Debconf in CDLinux, after all I really think Debconf and ratpoison are
two best examples of small beauty deisgn which solved big
problems. dpkg -s ratpoison

> I don't really believe this argument:
> * making a chroot environment is really easy. Basically you just grab a
>   base .tar.gz, extract it, and chroot into it. That should take you all
>   of 2 minutes or so :). chroots also allow you to test distro upgrades,
>   which might be hard with live cdroms

Agreed. :)

So here is another point in favor of CDLinux, it's the poor man's
laptop. :)

--
http://dim.sourceforge.net ............... Debian Chinese Input Method
http://njlug.sourceforge.net ............ NanJing GNU/Linux User Group