RE: Security trough paranoia

Hello there!

On  2 Apr, Joris Lambrecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've also been a debian user since it's very early days, think there was
> just one release before hamm wasn't there ? Forgot about the name (rain ?)
> Anyway, i was out of it for a few years but i'm not planning on backing out
> again.

	Yeah! The one before hamm was "bo" (1.3), but I had little
contact with this.

> In fact you'd be setting up an entirely new distribution wich would be
> debian based, no ? The idea must be very appealing to Company's working with
> the internet of course ... why not simply post your idea on a security
> mailinglist ? Isn't there one for debian security ?

	We have discussed this subject as a thread for my previous message at
debian-devel (Refer to debian-devel archives). People have thought it
would be unnecessary to launch a new port (or even a new distro), and
the solution pointed by some more experienced users and developers was
to create alternative versions of every package that needs hardening
(mainly those which must be suid), including kernel. Those packages
could be hooked to a virtual package (let's say task-secure-system or
task-harden...) and could be available to those who needed is
(corporations, paranoid users, ...) as their local law permits (I guess
German government has an issue with this kind of stuff, I don't know).
This efford will be coordinated by Ola Lundqvist (opal@debian.org) with
our contribution. He have already (I guess) written an ITP for this.

	I have asked if this discussion should take place at another
list, but debian-devel seemed to like this discussion, so it went on.

> Also, there is something called the trinity project wich is all about
> networking etc. Why not set up some kind of How TO on securing you
> distribution with recompiling you software ? This might be a possible
> parallell track with the secure distro but would in fact be a nice ramp-up
> to start securing your systems while waiting for Fort Knox GNU/Linux to come
> out. This kind of project might also be worth to have a page at
> www.sourceforge.net

	I guess every efford already conducted (such as immunix tools
and TrinityOS) will be used in this "debian hardening" project.

> Greetings and good luck with this project,

	Thanx

> Joris
>
> PS : let me know if this reply was usefull in a way.

	Of course... every feedback is always wanted. Thanx again.
	BTW, I forwarded this reply to debian-devel, hope you don't
mind.