Re: A problem with Build-Depends

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Dale E Martin wrote:
> (I'm not on this list, please Cc: dmartin@cliftonlabs.com replies.)

> Lintian is saying to me:
> ~/debian> lintian cdparanoia_3a9.8-1.dsc
> E: cdparanoia source: package-uses-debhelper-but-lacks-build-depends

debhelper is not build-essential (please install the build-essential package
to read the list of build-essential packages), so you have to declare a
build dependency on it.  Also, if you use dh_testversion, declare that
version dependency as well (using a versioned build dependence).

> b) Are my Build-Depends simply silly?  (I.e. is it safe to assume you've
> got gcc and libc6-dev installed if you're building a package?)

gcc and libc6-dev are considered build-essential, so you need not
build-depends on them.

  Henrique Holschuh