Re: Help needed, TDFX [Re: Release-critical Bugreport for March 23, 2001]

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 12:17:07AM -0800, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Joseph> If you have a 3dfx card, you probably should be using CVS
>     Joseph> DRI, which can be made not too painful (but will uglify
>     Joseph> your XF86Config-4 file a bit..)
>
> Is the same true for Voodoo5?

Yes, the CVS drivers are faster (AIUI).

The difference (empirically) appears to be more noticeable on machines
which have slow CPUs, and hence tend to be CPU bound (like mine which
is a K6-2 500, which has very poor FP performance compared to a PII of
similar speed).

Note that Mercury has made apt-able DRI cvs debs of X; these were
announced to this list as well as debian-x, and I'm using them
successfully here.

Jules