Re: LVM

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 01:26:27AM -0600, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 12:59:35AM -0600, Scott Dier wrote:
> > * AJ Lewis <lewis@sistina.com> [010326 17:39]:
> > > now.  I'm working on packages for 0.9.1 Beta6 that will use a common/base
> > > package to go between kernel versions, and should have them up on the
> > > Sistina web site next week.  Hopefully I will have 0.8 final packages up
> >
> > Next time, dont put the binaries in /usr/sbin.  One of my friends tried
> > out the sistina packages and had that problem and his /usr/sbin was on a
> > LVM partition.
> >
> > Probally best to put some sort of install check in to make absoluetly
> > sure /sbin isn't LVM mounted, and post a warning if it is at least. (via
> > debconf, so it emails it at least.)
>
> Yeah, that friend was me. ;-)  No worries.  I had a handy copy of
> tomsrtbt available and my / partition was not LVM'ed.  No blood, no
> foul.

8)

> Anyway, if you need them sponsored, I can do so.  I've talked to AJ
> before about LVM, and I've talked with Tom.  I've always been
> reassured that Tom's packages were in incoming, however, I've never
> seen them get past that barrier and make it into unstable.

I've gotten three offers of sponsership in the last day.  Thanks all!

> If you haven't noticed, the lvm packages are versioned based on the IO
> Protocol version or IOP.  lvm-0.8final was IOP 5 or 6.
> lvm-0.9.0-beta3 was something like 10, and now they're up to something
> like IOP 11 with 0.9.0-beta6.  Therefore, the lvm10 and lvm10-dev
> packages refer to the IOP version 10 of the kernel patch and tools.
> Packages for lvm-0.9.0-beta6 should be refered to as lvm11 and
> lvm11-dev.

Actually, beta6 is back to IOP10 as people didn't appreciate breaking
compatibility with the default kernel.  A valid argument.

> It's all very confusing, yes, but the LVM developers have hashed out a
> way to understand what version of the kernel IOP you are running and
> use the tools appropriately.  I do not believe that the latest tools
> are backwards compatible with the older kernel IOP's though, so
> updates to the lvm tools MUST BE accompanied by a kernel upgrade.
>
> Alas, I'm still running my beta3 packages on the 2.4.0 kernel, despite
> some of the bugs that were reported against them.  I'll sponsor the
> packages in all their confusing splendor, since I have a vested
> interest in maintaing LVM on my boxes:
>

> lvscan -- ACTIVE           "/dev/vg01/lv_usr" [2 GB]
> lvscan -- ACTIVE           "/dev/vg01/lv_tmp" [256 MB]
> lvscan -- ACTIVE           "/dev/vg01/lv_var" [1 GB]
> lvscan -- ACTIVE           "/dev/vg01/lv_usr_local" [812 MB]
> lvscan -- ACTIVE           "/dev/vg01/lv_home" [3 GB]
> lvscan -- 5 logical volumes with 7.04 GB total in 1 volume group
> lvscan -- 5 active logical volumes

Yeah, I'm doing the same on all my boxens.  my laptop looks like:
lvscan -- ACTIVE            "/dev/main/usr" [2 GB]
lvscan -- ACTIVE            "/dev/misc/var" [400 MB]
lvscan -- ACTIVE   Original "/dev/misc/home" [300 MB]
lvscan -- ACTIVE   Original "/dev/misc/foo" [72 MB]
lvscan -- ACTIVE   Snapshot "/dev/misc/snap1" [98.44 MB] of /dev/misc/home
lvscan -- ACTIVE   Snapshot "/dev/misc/snap2" [70.88 MB] of /dev/misc/foo
lvscan -- 6 logical volumes with 2.92 GB total in 2 volume groups
lvscan -- 6 active logical volumes

> *grin*  I'll give AJ a ring and hash out the detail so he can bring me
> up to date with beta3.  I'll still consider Tom MIA but genuinely
> interested, as that was the last status I heard from him.  If I
> update, it'll be NMU under a no-reply situation from Tom... IF there's
> enough interest among everyone here to update.  Given that 2.4.0 uses
> lvm-0.9-beta2, it would be a good idea to have at least lvm10
> available (or is it lvm9).
>
> See what a nightmare this is?  That's what you get for bleeding edge
> technology.

We'll get this stabilized so people can just use it w/o getting motion
sickness.

Regards,
--
AJ Lewis
Sistina Software Inc.                  Voice:  612-379-3951

Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B  52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648
Get my key at: http://www.sistina.com/~lewis/gpgkey
 (Unfortunately, the PKS-type keyservers do not work with multiple sub-keys)

-----Begin Obligatory Humorous Quote----------------------------------------
THE LESSER-KNOWN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES #16:
C- This language was named for the grade received by its creator when he
submitted it as a class project in a graduate programming class.  C- is
best described as a "low-level" programming language.  In fact, the
language generally requires more C- statements than machine-code statements
to execute a given task.  In this respect, it is very similar to COBOL.