Re: apt-get probs

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 sjw@exegesis.org.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems to me that apt-get (and obviously also dpkg)
> has a few problems that need to be retified.
>
> OK....Scenario...
>
> I modified a script within /etc/init.d/ as part of
> a pen test and general security survey to estimate
> what would happen should a hacker do the same.
>
> Next I do an apt-get remove on the package...it aborts
> with all sorts of nasty error messages.

what do you expect? when you remove a daemon, it gets stopped before the
files are deleted. chances are pretty good that you screwed up the
initscript in some way that caused it to fail- hence, can't stop daemon,
hence won't uninstall daemon.

> What is more worrying is that the pre and post install
> proggies get passed the message and totally screw up
> everything else.

"the message?" care to clarify that a bit?

> The only way round it was to unpack the .deb and overwrite
> everything to get apt-get working again.

this is not quite correct. i _really_ doubt that changing an initscript
"broke" apt in a way other than apt refusing to remove your broken
package.

> I am purposely being vague about packages here as I would
> like others to try it on different packages. However I
> will post all messages/package details if it turns out
> to be single package related...

it's not a bug with the package(s) you used, because you broke them
yourself. it's not a bug with apt for the same reason. and your message
doesn't help anyone unless you disclose everything; that's the whole point
of having resources like mailing lists & bug tracking available to the
general public.