Re: Security-enhanced Linux by the NSA for Debian

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 10:59:03AM +0200, Wouter de Vries wrote:

> I was wondering wether there are maintainers thinking of packaging
> Security-Enhanced Linux by the National Security Agency. (available at
> http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/ ) It is published under the GPL license ..
> The only problem is that the code might not be trustworthy :)

You're welcome to package it, but as I understand it, the Security-Enhanced
Linux project is not necessarily intended to produce a useful system, but to
demonstrate and explore mandatory access controls in the Linux kernel.  There
is some question as to what value there would be in actually running this
modified kernel on one's system.

Also, I believe modified versions of several "system utilities" are required;
this may mean diverting essential (or very important) binaries, or providing
the modified versions in an alternate path.  It is likely to be a lot of work
for questionable gain.

--
 - mdz