OT : Universal Packaging

- I'm not a member of the list so please include me in any reply's, can't afford yet another storm of mails, allready subscribed to 4 lists -

I've recently had a discussion with someone about the trouble of installing packages across systems. Ordinary users often get confused and more importantly frustrated.

Now i wonder if future packages would be created using XML and thus distributed, the packages would be parsed/processed by some tool at the client side wich in turn would convert it to any required package format necessary or even simply interpret this for an existing package manager.

Would this be feasable or does there allready exist such a project ?

Thank You,

joris