Re: Strange mail/list behaviour? (was Re: Strange apt-get behavior with held packages)

J.A. Bezemer (2001-03-21 11:28:49 +0100) :

> > >From what I could tell of it, it wasn't perl, but a dependency clash
> > between apt and debconf.  apt 0.5.3 is now in testing, and it
> > no longer Provides libapt-pkg2.7, which my version of debconf depends
> > on.
>
> Note the `>' at the start of the reply. I'm quite sure Richard didn't write
> that,
[...]

Yup.  The sequence "\nFrom " is used in SMTP to separate messages.  So
any newline-From-space has to be converted to something else before
being sent.  Most MUAs choose to add a '>' between the newline and the
From.

  No trouble there, just normal behaviour.

<soapbox>
  If people bothered just enough about typography to start their
paragraphs with one or two spaces, this would happen less often (I
seem to recall that the first paragraph is not supposed to be
indented, and anyway we could encounter a From in the middle of a
paragraph).
</soapbox>
<wink>

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Qu'est-ce qui est jaune, qui pèse deux cents kilos et qui chante ?
Un canari.  Belle bête, pas vrai ?