Re: Unified log handling

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 09:32:34PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> I notice that many (most) packages that have log files use savelog in
> cron files instead of using logrotate.d. Is there a reason for this?
> For example, /etc/cron.daily/squid includes the following:
>
> 	#    Rotate the squid.out logfile
> 	savelog -c 3 squid.out > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> This deletes the fourth logfile, leaving only three or four days of log
> files at any one time. If an admin wants to change this, he must grep
> until he finds this line and figure out how to change it.
>
> Logrotate, while nowhere near perfect, seems like a good solution to
> the inconsistancy caused by packages rotating logs independently. I
> want to reccomend its use as a Debian standard and figure out why many
> maintainers have elected to use their own cron jobs instead.

Most packages needed logs rotated before logrotate existed.  Also,
logrotate comes from redhat, so whether it's justified or not there is
some bias there (not from all maintainers!).

FWIW, I don't care which method is used.  If it's logrotate, I edit
the logrotate conf.  If not, I have to look in one of
/etc/cron.monthly, /etc/cron.weekly, /etc/cron.daily, or /etc/cron.d .
How hard is that?  No grepping needed ... that file in question is
named after the package in question :)

Note:  I recently left a job where I had set up a pretty slick apache
rotation scheme that computed stats, etc.  I spoke to the new
administrator recently who swore up and down that he couldn't figure
out where this was happening.  Of course the answer was
/etc/cron.daily/apache ... so this story is either an argument in your
favour or speaks poorly of my replacement's administrative abilities.

Cheers,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.