Re: X?

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 02:12:50PM +0100, Mathias Wiklander <eastbay@linux.nu> was heard to say:
> I am running "SID" and I have som problem with X can't execut progams
> for other computers and shoing it on my workstation. I have 5 comuters
> in my local network at home and when I set the DISPLAY to "aj:0.0" and
> trys to execut it sas "Error: Can't open display: aj:0.0" even if I have
> executed "xhost +" at the computer "aj". Why dosen't this work?

  I believe that the default X installation does not allow remote X
connections.  Here is the debconf message, which would have been displayed
if your debconf priority had been above medium:

 Because the X server runs with superuser privileges, by default it
 operates with TCP port listening disabled as a security measure.  This
 means that, as shipped, X servers started with xinit (or startx) are not
 reachable via the network and will refuse connections from X clients
 running on remote hosts.  (Outbound connections, such as those to X font
 servers, are not affected; neither are sessions tunneled or forwarded with
 ssh.)
 .
 Many people do not need to enable TCP port listening in their X servers;
 if you do, for instance to display remote X clients to your local X
 server, you can edit /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc to remove the "-nolisten
 tcp" option.  Note that editing this file has no effect on X servers
 started with xdm or other display managers.

  Daniel

| "But what the eagle does not realize is that it is participating in a crude |
|  form of natural selection.  One day, a tortoise will learn to fly."        |
|   -- Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_                                          |
\------- Listener-supported public radio -- NPR -- http://www.npr.org --------/