Re: ITP: ditty - Allows you to play melodies from your built-in speaker

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 12:16:34PM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:42:45 +0100
> Wouter de Vries <swamp@kermy.nl> wrote:
> > Package: ditty
[...]
> Wasn't there a kernel sound driver for the PC speaker? Whatever happened to that thing...?

RTFM ;)

When asked for "Sound card support" by the kernel configuration,
the help text contains the following paragraph:

  I'm told that even without a sound card, you can make your computer
  say more than an occasional beep, by programming the PC speaker.
  Kernel patches and supporting utilities to do that are in the pcsp
  package, available at ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/pcsp/ .

Last time I tried it (linux-2.2.15), it was working relatively
well, but you could hear every interrrupt (espccially during disk
I/O. And, DMA access is not posible, so no sound during playing
quake :(( [;-)]

I don't know if it still works with linux 2.4.*

    Ingo
--
16                      Hard coded constant for amount of room allowed for
                        cache align and faster forwarding (tunable)

-- seen in /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/net/TUNABLE