Re: Xpdf fuckware

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 02:52:57AM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Let's don't get our morals confused with technical usefulness. There is no
> moral obligation on the part of xpdf to tell you anything about the
> author's wishes WRT these bits. It's only obligation is to satisfy the
> design, presenting the contents to the screen and to the printer at the
> user's choice. There is nothing in the (non-existant) design spec that
> says this product is supposed to act on anyone elses desires, not even
> those of the author.

I agree wholeheartedly. I think that those bits convey some information that
might be useful to some, though. In my opinion, the best solution in function
and design would be to have some display for these bits (for example a small
text box "protected" or something appropriate) which shows the state of
these flags for the current document. No command line options, no dialog
boxes, just some way to see what the bits contain (either automatic in the
main window or in the property box).

Thanks
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de