Re: Why isn't gcc-2.91.66 (egcs-1.1.2) packaged (for kernel 2.4 builds)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Matthias Klose wrote:

> Your argument that 2.91.66 is recommended to build 2.4 kernels is
> partially wrong. At least for architecures alpha, powerpc, sparc,
> mips, (hppa, s390, ...) it's not used (please correct me, if I am
> wrong).

I won't, because you're apparently right :)

> As Ray pointed out, gcc-2.95.3 seems to be capable to build usable 2.4
> kernels. Unfortunately this is not yet released (we use the test5
> release), so you won't get a recommendation from the kernel developers
> to use an unreleased compiler.

You're right again. And now it's my turn :)

What's wrong with having another compiler version packaged (which,
fortunatelly, is not just another compiler version like the one
distributed wit redhat 7.0)

I won't attemp to produce a list of other packages that do essecially
tha same thing, but with a twist :)

gcc-2.91.66 (egcs-1.1.2) useful _now_.

And by the way, in case anyone is interested, I've put the package out
on our ftp-server:

  ftp://ftp.axis.se/pub/users/cii/

The credit goes to "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <jhm@cistron.nl>.

I'm an amateur, but some day, when I get older, I wish to be a Debian
developer :) I did not go by the Debian bible when I made the package,
so that makes me a sinner :) I was so excited, I did not even put it
through lintian. I guess that makes Ray a sinner too :)

The package is built on a potato and installed on a potato.
I used it to build a 2.4.2 kernel, which it did. Gracefully.
I didn't get around to boot that kernel, yet. Planned for tomorrow :)

Cheers,
Cristian

--
Murphy was an optimist.