Re: User configuration of language setting

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Bill Allombert wrote:

> One important example is locale setting via the LANG environment
> variable. I know lots of french users who will benefit from a french
> environment, but use the C locale, only because they do not know how
> to change it, even if they have managed to install Debian
> themselves.

Yes. There still is no good way to use.

> I configure locale by adding at the top of .xsession
>
> export LANG=french
>
> Is it correct ? But it does not work if I log outside X.
> Puting it in .profile work for terminal session but not for
> programs spawn by the window manager, and for the window manager itself.

For a general setup, use /etc/environment. Or insert . ~/.profile in you
.xsession (or even just export LANG=french).

Other solution: use gdm (maybe kdm), there is a language selection
method.

However, you might run into trouble because of bug #76906, if you are
running unstable/testing (trouble with the way Xlib handles locales with
charset appended). If you don't want to bother, use fr_FR instead of
french, and edit /etc/locale.alias (anyway, only X uses the charset part
of the locale, from my experience).

--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq -- ATER en informatique à l'université de Caen
Tel: 02 31 56 74 30 / 06 67 67 69 15 / 02 31 93 62 24