Re: XPDF Not fuckware?

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Alan Shutko wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > The book is two-sided (facing pages), but xpdf only displays 1 page at a
> > time. Is there a way to get xpdf (of some other document display program)
> > to display the facing pages together on the screen at one time?
>
> Someone else has described the psnup method, so I'll just recommend
> acroread.  AFAICT, there's no way to get gv or xpdf to show facing
> pages.

I'm very happy to know about psnup and this technique, but it's really
hard to use .ps during document development, as the screen shots in .ps
format are about 200 times larger than the .png files. This makes the
reload of the .ps file take several minutes, while the .png comes right
up. The same time expansion on the LaTeX runs makes the cycle time much
longer than when .pdf output is used. This is specially notable when the
changes are very small and often.

I installed Acrobat Reader and, with a bit of a stall at first, have
figured out how to use it, although I had to get fed up enough to close
the license screen. When you first start the program, you get a window
that completely covers the program window containing the use license for
AR. With no menu or other buttons, it isn't clear that you aren't actually
in the program yet, until you close the license window. I guess I'm just
an idiot ;-)

Anyway, this works fine for me, and allows a quick slide down the work,
looking for widows, orphans and bad headers.

Thanks to all for the great help.

Luck,

Dwarf