Re: Xpdf fuckware

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 03:34:49PM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> But I'm not in favour of having any legal language in the putative
> pop-up message, for two reasons.
>
> 1. Who's law shall be quoted?  Copyrights vary across the globe.
>    "Fair Use" is a U.S. legal term, as I understand it, and there
>    is no reason to assume both the author and the reader are in the U.S.A.
>
> 2. Copyright exists independently of whether or not the author
>    chose to flip on those bits.  The absence of "copy control" bits
>    does not mean that you are free to republish the work.
>
> IMHO, the only reasonable interpretation of these bits is that they
> are a request from the document's author to not do certain things.
> That is all the message should say.

Excellent points.  I agree with you, we shouldn't even mess with the words
"copyright" or "fair use" in the application.  We should communicate the
author's specific request, permit them to be overridden, and that is all.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Reality is what refuses to go away when
Debian GNU/Linux                |    I stop believing in it.