Re: Xpdf fuckware

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 03:15:26PM -0300, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> IMHO, the patch should, as others said, pop-up a window notifying the user
> that the autor of the document requests that such an operation should not be
> done, and that proceeding with the operation anyway might be in violation of
> copyright rights.

Since opinions are being solicited, I'd like to add my support for this
compromise.  Since I'm an armchair lawyer I'm happy to help out with the
specific language.  It will be important to make clear that the requested
action only *MIGHT* be a violation of copyright.  There is no way for a
piece of software to know if someone is engaging in Fair Use practices or
not.  Hollywood's answer to that problem is to try and abolish the concept
of Fair Use (in many cases, by pretending it doesn't exist).  We want to be
sure we don't reinforce that strategy.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |   The noble soul has reverence for itself.