Re: debian/changelog and add-log-mailing-address

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 02:51:23PM +0000, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> Many debian/changelog files have a fragment at the end looking like this:
>
>     Local variables:
>     mode: debian-changelog
>     add-log-mailing-address: "SOME.EMAIL.ADDRESS"
>     End:
>
> This is wrong; the add-log-mail-address entry should be removed, as it
> can cause changes made by Emacs users to have the wrong email address
> associated with them.
>
> The proper place for Emacs to learn add-log-mailing-address from is
> the user's ~/.emacs file.
>
> Perhaps a lintian check could be added for this (very common!) bug?

In that case you should file a wishlist bug against lintian.

In the meantime, I note that we appear to have canonicalized Emacs major
mode specifications into the changelog format.  What would be a
syntactically acceptable way to add a vi(m) modeline?

E.g.:

vim:set ai et tw=78:

This needs to be someplace where nothing else will try to parse it.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |    Please do not look directly into laser