Re: Package modifying its own control at build?

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 09:00:05AM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Well, in this case this is correct. However, as a general rule, generating
> > the control file will become important for a lot of packages with the
> > increase of versioned dependencies on linux specific or virtual packages and
> > the Hurd port. The purpose is then not to build different packages, but to
> > have different dependency information in the package for Linux and for Hurd.
>
> It's not necessary to modify a control file for this; this is what
> substvars are for.
>
> OTOH, as the maintainer of a package that has good reason for modifying
> its control file, I would like to know what kinds of problems in the
> archive Ben is talking about.

heard about the sgmltools problem? If you hack around incorrectly with
the control file, and the .dsc does not reference the .deb's in the
Binary line, or the .deb does not reference your Source package, then
things can get weird (like source being removed since dinstall thinks
nothing needs to build from it anymore).

Ben