smupsd - problems

Hello,

this is a call for help with the smupsd package.  There are two problems:

1) The package dosen't seem to be maintained upstream.
   When I packaged the first package from source for version 0.9
   this was available via ftp from
        ftp://ftp.brouhaha.com/pub/eric/redhat/smupsd/
   The upstream maintainer wasn't available under the stated e-mail address.
   The ftp archive vanished but I found a RedHat source package via Yahoo
   which was versioned 0.9.1.
   With exception of some comments there was only one of the bugs fixed
   which I did in the Debian package myself in version 0.9.

   The latest CHANGELOG entry says:

      1/10/98         Release 0.9.1
      Changes for Red Hat Linux 5.0.
      The startup file /etc/rc.d/init.d/smupsd.init
      is now called smupsd (no .init) to comply with
      the way Red Hat is now handling rc files.

   What to do now with this package.  It seems to be dead upstream but is
   the only ups-monitor in Debian which works for me (that's why I packaged
   it).  The question is now:
   Should I make this package Debian native because there seems to be no
   official upstream source and name my bugfixed version 0.9.2?

2) The source includes a Java based GUI monitor.  It compiles with JDK
   and kaffe but if I use kaffe-compile on Debian-Sparc it breaks.
   There isn't any JDK for sparc in Debian (or did I miss something).
   This disables the package to work under Sparc.
   Because I builded the smupsd-monitor in a separate package at least
   the smupsd could be spipped for Sparc (and I need it there).
   How to cope with this situation?
   By the way I would think it would add real value to the package if
   someone would port the monitor to a ncurses based UI (in C or whatelse)
   but I have no time for this stuff.

Kind regards

         Andreas.