Re: portability as a goal for debian?

Jason Gunthorpe writes:

>`` Don't write portable make files, use a portable make ''
>
>Is still my favorite quote and very much directly applicable to this
>argument.
>
>I fully belive in that sentimate, btw.

Amen to that. We've got a product that builds on 4 platforms: AIX,
Solaris, FreeBSD and NT. The first thing I did for sanity when I
started with the company was to mandate the use of GNU make across all
platforms (yes, even NT - for _some_ binaries). I _tried_ to make the
Makefiles work for all the makes, but...

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                   stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,                 +------------------