Re: libdb3?

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 10:49:45AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Jules Bean wrote:
> > In fact, the ideal solution is a more flexible dynamic linker? One
> > which allows two libraries providing the same symbol to be loaded, as
> > long as each shared object demanding the symbol is only linked to one
> > of them?  Or is that too simplistic/not possible?
>
> As far as I know ELF doesn't allow this.

However, one could trick ELF, I guess, (at the cost of a clean break
in binary compatibility) by using, instead of symbol names,
soname_symbolname. (Which is a bit like versioned symbols, I
suppose). Then you wouldn't actually be using the same symbol name
twice.

Mind you, this is probably all very naive.

Jules