Re: Making 256 color Xterm support the default.

I'm, um, a bit behind on this list.  My apologies.

On 22 January 01, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jan 22, Scott A Crosby <crosby@qwes.math.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>  >So, unless there are a signifigant number of users who are limited to
>  >8-bit displays, I propose that we consider making 256-color xterms the
>  >default.
> What about memory usage?

That's the only drawback I know of.  256-color xterm uses one additional
byte per character.  With all the internationalization and wide-font
support that's been done over the past year or so, that's a smaller
percent increase than it was when I wrote the support.  (I have another
version of the patches that give true truecolor support, if you're
willing to give up another 4 bytes per character.  I never bothered to
submit that version.)

According to the changelog, a change was made 2000/2/26 to initialize
colors when they're first used, not at startup.  I haven't looked at the
code recently, but as far as I know that's still the case, so 8-bit
displays shouldn't have problems unless they actually use the colors.

I'm glad other people are using this.  I was hoping it would be default
by XFree 4.0.
--
Todd Larason| "Take me home, take me to the zona rosa, mariachis |UIN: 8070783
------------+ and tequila, I will dance the night alone.  Just   +------------