Cron console messages (was: Re: Annoying messages)

On 05-Mar-01, 15:52 (CST), Jon Eisenstein <jeisen@mindspring.com> wrote:
> How do I stop this insane message to disappear, and, if it is a
> security issue as logcheck reports, how can I fix it?
>
> Here's the message:  PAM_unix[number]: (cron) session opened for user
> mail by (uid=0)

Short term: Comment out the "pam_limits.so" line in /etc/pam.d/cron.

Long term: Update to Pam 0.76-16, which has been uploaded to incoming,
and should show up in unstable RSN.

In General: Look at the bug reports for packages you are having problems
with. You would have found the problem description and solution in any
number of reports, looking at either pam or cron.

For The Curious: the combination of (libcap / pam_limits / kernel 2.4)
was causing setuid() calls in cron to fail, and also somehow caused
vsyslog() (which libpam uses) to fail (which cause those messages to go
to the console). Ben Collins diagnosed the problem and uploaded the fix.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read