Re: dpkg-scanlibs

    Me> 2) Converting the scripts is like writing them over from
    Me> scratch. You get the same kind of bugginess as from a first
    Me> implementation.

    PM> But this is plain wrong. Proof by Authority[0]: In The
    PM> Mythical Man Month chapter 11 Fred Brooks says: ``Plan to
    PM> throw one away; you will, anyhow.''

Sorry, but I have to counter-disagree, since you didn't controvert my
point. Brooks never said, "Throwing one away will have no costs
attached."

Just to keep up with the joneses, I'll paraphrase Watts Humphrey[0] and
point out that bugs vary directly with lines of code written, pretty
much regardless of programming language.

I'm definitely all for refactoring and just plain rewriting stuff for
improved quality. If done well, a rewrite can be a big
improvement. But every new line of code introduces bugs, and that's
the toll you have to pay. You have to do some evaluating of whether
the toll is worth it for the end-result you get.

~ESP

0. Actually, I'm pretty sure Humphrey didn't say this first, but he's
   a good name to use.

--
Evan Prodromou
evan@debian.org