Re: Planning to split doc-rfc

mdz@debian.org (Matt Zimmerman)  wrote on 25.02.01 in <[🔎] 20010225181538.A20784@alcor.net>:

> On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 10:46:00AM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>
> > nick@debian.org (Nicolás Lichtmaier)  wrote on 25.02.01 in

> > >  The packaging should be tematic,
> >
> > Are *you* going through the ~3000 RFCs and making a list which ones belong
> > to each theme?
>
> Eh?  They are already classified by the RFC editor/IETF.  However, their
> list is a little different from the one above.  It goes something like:

Uh, their list is exactly what I'm using in the above proposal.

Or to put it precisely, they have two different lists: what a RFC is
published as, and what it's current status is. The above is the "current
status" list. (And it's significantly less buggy now, after I exchanged
several emails with the RFC Editor guys.)

> 	- FYI
> 	- BCP (Best Current Practice)

Ah. Forgot about those two, as they're only in the other list, for some
reason. Yes, should have those, too. (Both are small lists.)

> From the above, it looks as if "misc" will actually include "informational"
> RFCs, so perhaps it should be renamed to reflect that.

No, misc was emphatically *not* meant as "any rfc not anywhere else". I
originally did not intend to package _all_ rfcs (just as I didn't before).
I'm now pondering if maybe I should have prio extra packages for 500-packs
of those, like someone suggested. Need to see how that works out in
practice, first.

> > (And what will you do about overlaps? There's a *lot* of that.)
> >
> > It's not as if I haven't tried to come up with such a scheme for years.
>
> Overlap should be easily solved with dependencies.

I really can't see how.

>  Users may install a
> subset, say, BCPs, and the "Informational" package would depend on that one.

We were talking *thematic* subsets here. Neither of these are thematic
subsets. Mail or SNMP are (and overlap is stuff like RFC 2789 "Mail
monitoring MIB").

MfG Kai