Re: Variable in Depends: ??

Russell, other interested Debians

Thanks for the detailed suggestions. Let me introduce a small cast, and
then define the more troublesome, general problem with respect to
Debian.

Mark Spieth applies  the code upgrades to the open source ltmodem.o
components and has written most of the kit at
http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/ ltmodem-5.78e.tar.gz.  Therein
I've maintained the DOCs and embellished the ./ltinst a bit.
Mark uses rpm, while Chris Hebeisen & I have Debian installations.
Though we couldn't include it the current package Chris has started work
on a much more general installer, with relevance to the general problem.

Winmodems are becoming increasingly prevalent within the new PCs and
laptops. These Afflictions cannot be long ignored as both Newbies and
experienced  increasing need them to get on line under Linux.
There is a LOT of Trouble Traffic on the List discuss@linmodems.org
With respect to Linux, the best of the Linux supported winmodems have
some closed source components, that are combined/compiled with open
source components and kernel-headers to generate kernel-version-matched
binary modules.  Currently this includes modems with Lucent/Agere
chipsets, the Mwave in newer IBM Thinkpads, Intel/Ambient HaM, and
(expected drivers for) Motorola chipsets.

What we really need for Debian I thing, is a general installer package
which would:
1) apt-get install kernel-headers  make (and dependents)
2) request separate import of the proprietary component (as now done for
the Real Player) and then
3) process its included Makefile to generate the modem drivers
4) install the drivers in the /lib/modules/

This is WAY Beyond my scripting skills/knowledge. They are more at the
level of using alien for elementary Package.deb constructions.  My 1st
cut at the ltmodem installer ONLY before packing has structure:

|-- debian
|   |-- control,etc
|   `-- rules
`-- usr
    |-- bin/ltmodem
    |-- share-doc-ltmodem (5-6 Docs)
    `-- src-modules
            `-- ltmodem
                |-- build_module
                `-- ltmodem-5.78e.tar.gz

wherein bin/ltmodem is basically Chris's script component for
version/resource checking, which if OK, calls Mark's build_module, which
builds and installs ltmodem.o from ltmodem-5.78e.tar.gz.  Mark (in your
time zone?) can give you an environmental variable supporting builds
from non-version matched kernel-headers.

Russell I'll tarball this up and send it to you, for anything you might
choose to contribute.  There is NO PRIDE of ownership herein whatsover.
Rather, I'm much more fearfull of the general problem not being
adequately addressed.  Some solution is needed for the maturing boot
disks in particular. Otherwise a lot of Debians will have to
build/maintain their full installations via some sort  of an
intermediate (apt-zip style?) + Microsoft ppp.

MarvS