Re: RFC: Idea of Debian Font Manager

Hello there,

I've just built a 0.2.2 version of Defoma, and a new test package for tgif.
All the available PostScript fonts will appear in the font-selection menu
of tgif automatically. It is really easy and appealing.

Firstly, please apt-get defoma, defoma-gs, defoma-ps, defoma-x, gsfonts,
xfonts-greek-ph-scalable from:
  deb http://arashi.debian.or.jp/~take/defoma/ ./

For Chinese, ttf-arphic-bkai00mp and cmap-adobe-cns1 (for Traditional
Chinese), or ttf-arphic-gkai00mp and cmap-adobe-gb1 (for Simplified
Chinese), and gs-cjk-resource is recommended :)

Please answer all the DebConf question to default ones :) After completed
installing, please run tgif and open font-selection menu. You would see not
only Times, Courier, Helvetica, NewCentury and Symbol, but also some Greek
fonts, AvantGarde, Bookman, HelveticaNarrow, Palatino and so forth appear
there. Of course the proper xfonts substitute for them.

Those who print .ps files through PostScript printer can have the fonts
installed in the printer appear there, by registering them by using
defoma-pspr.

Various applications that output .ps files like abiword, xfig, and
scigraphica, which i maintain :), will benefit by using the same mechanism.

Please test them, and let me have your thinking.

Regards,

--
Yasuhiro Take aka hirot / <take@debian.org>