Re: automating debconf

* Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> [010222 19:13]:
> even when the backend db is a standard part of debconf, debconf will
> still need a way of inputting data from stdin and a way of outputting
> data to stdout in a consistent and usable format.

If Joey is doing this the 'obvious' way, which (I haven't looked yet)
I'm guessing he has, this is a very misleading argument. (Note: Obvious
doesn't mean easy.  I'm not trying to say what Joey is doing is 'easy'
by any means.  Having a fuzzy idea doesn't mean I can implement it in an
hour.)

If the configuration method falls onto a 'database' consiting of
(hopefully) multiple levels (local files, remote db per-system
overrides, remote db general policy) there should be no need for debconf
to do any i/o at install time.  The tools to configure/prepare the
local/remote databases should be done before the install and when
debconf is initally installed, somehow tell it where to look. (Perhaps
with a non-interactive boot-floppies set? Perhaps DHCP options? Any
ideas?)

Having i/o like you suggest is a neat idea, but it wouldn't be a 'real'
solution, just a conduit for people to hack at to setup unattented
installs.  Having the db method really feels like the right way to go.

Once again, I havent seen anything Joey has done, but I'm guessing its
*exactly* what I've been waiting for.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> <sdier@debian.org>
http://www.ringworld.org/  #linuxos@efnet

"When's the last time you used duct tape on a duct?" -Larry Wall