Re: automating debconf

Hi

Craig Sanders schrieb:
> # cat reconf.sh
> #! /bin/sh
>
> HOST="$1"
>
> ssh -t $HOST '
> PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
>
> dpkg-reconfigure -ftext debconf <<__EOF__

Hmm, I see. You are using the text frontend, and I think it's
legitimate if this frontend (which is designed to be
interactive) want's a tty. Probably you should do your pipe
stuff in a seperate frontend (-fpipe), or use the
'noninteractive' frontend and either Joey's backend database
library or just copy in that config files that you need
afterwards. Many ways to do it you see.

I'd do it with 'noninteractive' and copying config files around
I think ...

BTW: one thing more for my TODO: do some work on the Debian
System Administrators Guide.

> it is also necessary - debconf should not destroy useful functionality
> (e.g. the ability to install/upgrade a package on a remote system using
> ssh and a script).

It does not! Unfortunately I didn't think of the noninteractive
method immediately, else I could have told you earlier.

Admittedly documentation seems to be rather scarce ...

ciao, 2ri
--
When you think that Big Brother is watching you, try boring him
to death.