Re: missing debconf dependancies

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 05:40:13PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Also, essential packages have to use pre-depends anyway (since they have
> > to be fully functional even unconfigured), so I guess more or less whatever
> > you do, you need the pre-depends?
> No, the alternative aside from predepends or essential is that all
> packages that currently use debconf in their preinst w.o depending on it
> be fixed.

Don't you think it'd be easier to add a pre-depends: in one place, than
demand a couple of dozen other packages be fixed?

Sure, those other packages are in the wrong and ought to be fixed, but,
quite honestly, we'll have a quicker and better release if we fix these
problems in one place, rather than insisting they be fixed in 20 places.
(Which will then end up being 120 or 140 odd places when things start
failing because the autobuilders get overloaded, or because they compile
with new libraries that themselves are buggy...)

Cheers,
aj