Re: missing debconf dependancies

Anthony Towns wrote:
> The problem with making it essential is that it currently depends on
> apt, which really shouldn't need to be required or essentially (as cool
> as it is). But with as much depending on it now as there is, IMO, it's
> probably appropriate to consider it required on today's Debian systems.

Randolph told me that the next version of apt-utils will contain
apt-extracttemplates. At that point, debconf will cease depending on
apt, and will merely recommend apt-utils (if you want preconfiguration).

> Also, essential packages have to use pre-depends anyway (since they have
> to be fully functional even unconfigured), so I guess more or less whatever
> you do, you need the pre-depends?

No, the alternative aside from predepends or essential is that all
packages that currently use debconf in their preinst w.o depending on it
be fixed.

--
see shy jo