Re: Build-Depends

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 05:46:00AM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 03:16:53PM -0500, Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Greetings!  What's the best way to systematically determine build
> > dependencies for existing packages?
>
> Well, one thing is to look at the runtime libs which are required. You most
> likely need the runtime libs packages for all your -dev dependencies. In
> addition you can log the file opens (strace) while you build. And then
> search all those files in the package list. Actually this sounds like a good
> idea. Perhaps fakeroots lib has some support for that? I think there are
> some "make install" watchers out there which trap writing, so reading should
> be done as easyly.

Yup.

In fact, fakeroot /should/ be capable of this, but is buggy and
doesn't perform as documented. I had a discussion with the fakeroot
author about this a long time ago (say, 18 months?) and he said he was
planning to rework it.

A script to run build under strace -e trace=file and then use dpkg -S
to find the files would also work; I think it's pretty slow, and I'm
sure I remember another disadvantage (but I can't remember it).  Maybe
someone would like to hack something together.

Jules