Re: Build-Depends

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 05:46:00AM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 03:16:53PM -0500, Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Greetings!  What's the best way to systematically determine build
> > dependencies for existing packages?
>
> Well, one thing is to look at the runtime libs which are required. You most
> likely need the runtime libs packages for all your -dev dependencies. In
> addition you can log the file opens (strace) while you build. And then search
> all those files in the package list. Actually this sounds like a good idea.
> Perhaps fakeroots lib has some support for that? I think there are some "make
> install" watchers out there which trap writing, so reading should be done as
> easyly.

A very good exercise is to create a chroot environment (there are a few
step-by-step procedures for this floating around), install build-essential, and
incrementally install other build dependencies as you discover them.

auto-apt does the work of watching file accesses and determining which package
contains the requested file.  It could be of some use when determining build
dependencies, though I've never used it that way.

--
 - mdz