Re: Building the kernel-image-* packages

(Please excuse the Cc:, I understand you might need this information ASAP)

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> Today (ahem, yesterday actually) I tried to build new boot floppies with
> new kernel images from 2.2.19pre13. This was the first time I tried to

2.2.19pre13 (actually anything after 2.2.19pre9 I think) has serious TCP/IP
issues. It will drop 'idle' connections randomly, according to a bug
reporter in linux-kernel.  It affects not only idle connections: in my ia32
box it manages to kill just about every IRC session in a few dozens of
minutes and causes about 70% of the attempted outbound http connections to
fail. Using ssh is like playing russian roulette with your shell.

I do not know exactly why you need the kernel (although 'boot floppies' give
me quite a hint), but I thought I should better warn you. pre14 is not any
better (I'm using it right as we speak). There's hope pre15 will be out
tomorrow, reverting the patch which causes all the trouble.

I am sorry I just noticed this thread a few minutes ago :(

  Henrique Holschuh