Re: alpha loan?

Quoting Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com>:

> I don't know whether he meant this towards the maintainer of xanim or
> Debian as a whole, but it seems relevant for debian-devel.

This is certainly intended for the upstream maintainer of xanim in particular.
Mark is able to make xanim available with a number of binary-only modules for
various video codecs through NDAs he's signed with the owners of those codecs.
The terms of those NDAs (at least, as he interprets them on his website) require
him to do any compilation/development on a machine wholly under his control, so
he will only build the binary-only modules for platforms he has machines for.

And since xanim is non-free, compiling it with Compaq's ccc isn't much of an
issue, either.

> Hi, Doug Larrick here, the one who submitted the Debian bug above.

> It looks like Compaq's Linux Program Office is willing to provide you with
> an Alpha Linux system so you can build and maintain these plugins.  From
> some discussions I've had with the Debian Alpha developers, using a
> cross-compiler to build 64-bit executables on a 32-bit platform can be
> problematic.

> Once you've got your system, if you need Alpha-specific help, I'd be happy
> to answer any questions.  In particular, you will likely get far superior
> performance by using the Compaq C/C++ compilers (which will be included)
> than by using gcc.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer