Re: Solution. Was Re: ps2pdf and xpdf problems.

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Alan Shutko wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > I've lived in a world (both Mac and PC) where the fonts are standard and
> > rendering is dependable. In LaTeX it seems I can't even get simple Times
> > Roman without finding some non-free package to support it.
>
> You should be able to do \usepackage{pslatex} which will do a fairly
> decent job of using times, helvetica, and courier, and try to fake the
> maths where possible.

The "faked up" math characters can be a real problem. I ran into this on
another project where the bit map on the <> characters was simply abysmal,
and never rendered as more than a sketched in character (lots of rough
edges). In fact the math "feature" of LaTeX places about 15 minutes of
"proper quoting" work after laying out a large block of text that I always
find agrivating ;-)

It would really be nice to be able to turn off math mode for large blocks
of text (or even the complete document) so that these nits don't plague
the layout work...

Luck,

Dwarf