Re: Solution. Was Re: ps2pdf and xpdf problems.

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > First, adding -Ppdf to the dvips command line and then converting with
> > ps2pdf only helped a small amount. Text set larger than 12 points was
> > rendered properly, but all text 12 points or smaller is still rendered as
> > widely spaces single dots.
>
> You have to be very careful with fonts, the font mappings only exist for a
> small number of them..

Understood. Fonts are the one place that either LaTeX is lax or I just
haven't figured everything out yet.

I've lived in a world (both Mac and PC) where the fonts are standard and
rendering is dependable. In LaTeX it seems I can't even get simple Times
Roman without finding some non-free package to support it. (this could
just be my ignorance again, but I haven't found Times yet...)

All these LaTeX specific bitmap fonts just give me the willies ;-)

> > build the .ps file using dvips, there must be a set of .ps images, and to
> > build the .pdf, there must be a set of .png images. Providing both worked,
>
> Supposidly you can also provide a .pdf rather than a PNG. If you are
> converting vector data into .png I would encourage you to try to fix that,
> but screen shots and things are fine.
>
> PDF is not just for screen, but for print. So having high quality vector
> images is important.

Someone else also pointed this out. As you say, with raster images PNG is
just fine.

Luck,

Dwarf