Re: Net-tools followup

    Michael> OK, so I'll format the floppy ext2.  The book says to
    Michael> fdformat /dev/fd0H1440 but my system informs me that
    Michael> fdformat is obsolete and no longer available and that I
    Michael> should use superformat instead.  The man page for
    Michael> superformat implies that I am going to get an msdos
    Michael> filesystem on the floppy whether I want it or not.

Superformat, I believe, only writes the track/sector information (ie
low level format). It does not write the file system. Use mkfs for
that.

Of course, the documentation is poor.

eg:

       When the  disk  is  formatted,  superformat  automatically
       invokes  mformat  in  order to put an MS-DOS filesystem on
       it. You may ignore this filesystem, if you don't need  it.

contradicts with

       -D drive
       --dosdrive dos-drive
              Selects  DOS  drive letter for mformat (for example
              a: or b:).  The colon may be omitted.  The  default
              is  derived  from  the minor device number.  If the
              drive letter cannot be guessed, and is not given on
              the command line, mformat is skipped.

because I always use "superformat /dev/fd0" and don't use this
parameter. I never see any messages about mformat being run either.

    Michael> Hmmm, the only thing there is lost and found.  WTF?  OK,
    Michael> back to the workstation.  When I put the diskette in, it
    Michael> immediately starts bitching at me, and I now remember
    Michael> that one must dismount a floppy before one removes it.

Common problem. I frequently do that myself. Even if I remember after
removing the disk, it is too late, as the kernel has decided to flush
the buffers because it has detected a disk change (this might vary
depending on the kernel version).

(for this reason and this reason alone, I prefer to manage floppy
disks with mtools where possible, you probably don't even need kernel
support for the msdos file-system either.)
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>