ITP: lynx-cur -- lynx of current development version

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist

Well-known lynx but this is of current developement version.

You can try the latest lynx at any time with this package ;-)

Furthermore, this also provides lynx-cur-wrapper package
(multi-package) and this wrapper will provide very good
environment for novice users, especially for non iso-8859-1
users(?).

For example, a Japanese user sets LANG=ja_JP.eucJP then lynx starts
with /etc/lynx-cur/lynx-ja.cfg and this will set
CHARACTER_SET:euc-jp and PREFERRED_LANGUAGE:ja,en
which enables lynx to display Japanese characters by default.

# To tell the truth, I don't know the settings for iso-8859-2
# etc.  Perhaps the wrapper works only for Chinese/Korean/Japanese now.
# But I will adopt settings if users teach me the correct ones.

But, for iso-8859-1 users, isn't this wrapper superfluous?
Yes, it is and you can install only lynx-cur then lynx will call
a real binary directly.  We use update-alternatives to realize
this behavior.

And this idea of wrapper is taught from Klaus Weide, please see
the discussion of BTS #63997.

(In fact, this is not a special feature of lynx-cur and the same
wrapper can be adopted by lynx)

Isn't the developement version buggy?  Yes, sometimes it may
be buggy and I cann't say it is bug free but usually it is fixed
very soon, really very soon.

I once experienced that I reported a bug and it was fixed in the
very day!  And I subscribed lynx-dev ML so I can know if there
is a serious bug or not so I will not upload if it is too buggy.

(But, in fact, it would be better if lynx and lynx-cur can
co-exist and this is easy only if lynx uses alternatives, IMHO)

Furthermore this package includes the latest po files, at least
actively maintained ones, which are, unfortunately, not included
in the present lynx.

And I strongly hope that lynx and lynx-ssl also use update-alternatives
to define /usr/bin/lynx, this will make users very happy, I guess.

Perhaps it will be better for lynx and lynx-ssl to use different name
for config file (i.e. usually lynx.cfg) by each other.

Best Regards,		      2001.2.13

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>